To serve or not to serve is a big question often faced by your team. To address this Hospitality New Zealand along with the HPA (Health Promotion Agency) and the NZ Police developed the To Serve or Not to Serve workshop.
The workshop focuses on giving your front line staff the knowledge and skills to understand when to say yes and perhaps more importantly when to say no when working in a licensed venue!
Suitable for all bar and front of house staff working in an On Premise environment (especially for those new to our industry or from overseas) and is also a good refresher for Duty Managers.
This 3 to 3.5 hour workshop covers the following topics:
- What challenges do the staff face working in a licensed premise
- An overview of the legal side of alcohol service including the various conditions of an on license and their role in Host Responsibility
- Effective techniques for managing groups in an On Premise environment
- Minors - how to spot, how to manage and the law including information regarding the CPO (Controlled Purchase Operation) process
- Intoxication - how to prevent, spot, manage and the law
- An overview of the fines that could affect staff, the manager and the business including the 3 strike rule
- An introduction to the online tool Serve Wise developed by the HPA - the benefits and how to sign up and use
- An overview of the various resources available to assist them in their roles.
What did some workshop attendees have to say?
"Instructor was awesome and information provided was clear and informative."
Attendee from Auckland workshop
"Great course. Marg was very down to earth and easy to relate to - definitely recommend. Informative and constructive."
Attendee from Dunedin workshop
"Really clear information - well-presented and not overwhelming. Having it as a small group made it easier to be able to ask questions."
Attendee from Hamilton workshop